Monday, September 22, 2008

Youth Justice Reforms: A hit?

When I read this today I was shocked to say the least. I was wondered why they would put this policy out now when they are leading.

This policy on the face of it seems to play into the so called progressives hand's by allowing them to scream "Bush lover", "Wants to make us more American", or "regressive".

I agree that youth crime is one of the few segments increasing in Canada, but this seemed like an odd ploy. And I also agree we need to tackle this aggressively, and I would say I like the idea of holding youth accountable for their serious violent crime like murder. After all, its not graffiti here.

For sure a controversial announcement like this could take some of the attention away from Dion's big deficit day, but still, seemed risky.

When I was campaigning this evening with my local MP I heard a lot of enthusiasm for this announcement, people were happy we were doing something.

I guess the Conservative party did their polling well. This policy seems like a hit with the average Canadian.

We're better off with Harper.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couple of good interviews on Duffy today -- also supporting this. These were from a researcher and someone who works with young offenders. I was prepared for the usual blah, blah, stiffer sentences don't work, etc. Instead, the commentators were thoughtful and felt that these announcements were a move in the right direction.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion Harper may have just sealed the deal with this proposal.

Check out the unusually high response on CTV's online poll...

Should youth found guilty of serious crimes be named publicly upon conviction?
Yes, all of them
11221 votes (76 %)
Maybe just those 16 and older
2546 votes (17 %)
No, a kid is a kid
1090 votes (7 %)

Total Votes: 14857

People are absolutely thirsting for someone to finally take action on this problem.

The Libs and Dippers engage in their usual vociferous denouncements of this proposal at their own political peril.

Anonymous said...

People are tired of hearing from the left that "we have to get to the root cause of youth crime". To Jack and his gang being poor is an excuse to excuse responsibility both from youth and PARENTS.

AnonymousCoward said...

Root cause of crime?

Poverty is often used as a root cause of crime, but these people are not going to jail for stealing bread or a winter coat.

Of course when I look around my neighbourhood and see the graffiti, destruction of private property, and assaults; I am left to wonder how this correlates to poverty?

I mean, crap, the average house price in my neck of the woods has to be 300k.