Monday, August 18, 2008

Pakistan post Musharraf??

I came into work today had an interview then decided to catch up on some news this AM. Much to my surprise I found out the Pakistani President Pervez Musharra has stepped down.

I was quite surprised, I figured he would have fought the impeachment until the bitter end. I guess I underestimated him.

I have mixed feelings on President Musharraf. On one hand, he was a pretty good ally in the war on terror, even if some felt he could do more. On the other hand, he was divisive, and was rapidly losing the support of his people. Some could say, he was radicalizing the population.

Now that the opposition parties have finally managed to unseat him, perhaps they can no focus on the real issues of Pakistan. Issues like a crumbling economy, and raising violence in the territories, and rampant extremism.

No comments: